SPRING TIME 2021

Well, well, well... look who finally got around to putting up a seasonal recap post. Hey, everybody. I'm back to tell you a little bit about Spring 2021 now that we're mid-way through summer. Ha.

Since we're honest around here, I'll start with saying that spring was an emotionally tumultuous time. Matters were made worse because, looking back on the previous year + a few months, I'd already been through season after season after season after season after season of emotionally tumultuous times and felt very worn out and desperate for a break from it all. 

I cried out to God towards the end of spring, pleading for the rest He promises for those who labor and are heavy-burdened. Where was rest for me? When would I have freedom from being called to fight in battle after battle? Why was everything so hard? 

I wish I had been more faithful in that moment and less "Your promises are BS" like I was, because only a couple weeks later my load began to lighten considerably. I wish I had been a little more trusting that God would bring me through because that's He did and I felt really stupid afterwards for not trusting that He would. 

I didn't see that God was working. I didn't see that a period of respite was only a couple weeks away. I saw the darkness that surrounded and couldn't see past it and despaired because of it. I wish I had remembered that darkness is only overwhelming to us as humans; it has nothing on God.

If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me,

and the light about me be night."

even the darkness is not dark to you;

the night is bright as the day

for darkness is as light with you." 

Psalm 139:11-12

What does it matter if life is like running a marathon blindfolded for us? Yeah, it sucks. It's cooler to see and know what's going on. But nobody has that kind of clarity in their lives so I'm not sure why I'm still getting my panties in a wad about it. This is how life is. But God sees through the darkness and works within it. Why should I worry or despair? He's got this. 

That was a bit of the innermost heart of my Springtime. I only have a few pictures and memories to share for Spring 2021 because things were a little messy but, as always, there still quite a number of wonderful moments that I'm happy to share.

  • Helped plan a surprise mini birthday party wherein the venue of choice was the back of my Cr-V. Epic. Enjoyed a virtual watch party featuring a documentary on Flannery O'Connor with some college buds. Also enjoyed walking dates with friends around town and at a number of different state parks and going out for beers at a favorite brewery. 
  • Loved and connected with the story of David and his many battles, especially in 1 Samuel. Even used the story of David & Goliath in a MoH speech like any other nerdy Bible in a Year listener would. Speaking of being a MoH, I witnessed my little sister's wedding which was very beautiful.
  • Had an excellent Easter with family. I outdid myself in the cake-making department and felt very pleased and very sugared. One Alleluia sung at Mass that was so soul-piercingly beautiful that I immediately burst into tears. Reminded that sufferings of this world are not worthy to be compared with the glory to come. 
  • Got a great haircut. And, as it relates to my head: had an MRI done and found a tiny benign tumor on my pituitary gland. The state of my health started to make sense and I felt so wonderfully relived! Also felt pretty special because only about 1 in every 10,000 women have PCOS that is prompted by a tumor. I'm such a novelty. ;) 
  • Had great overnight visits from a college BFF & her husband as well as from siblings-in-law &  their baby. Felt very loved and touched by their companionship! 
  • Kept up with all of my resolutions from earlier in the year. Continued reading a lot until the school year started getting heavy. (Finally had a chance to read Jane Eyre and loved it). Continued learning Spanish everyday. Continued getting outside as often as possible. Continued meal-planning most weeks out of each month.
  • Discovered sours and realized that they would be my go-to beers for summer 2021. Did some interior decorating projects including refinishing and reupholstering a footstool and buying the dreamiest lamps for our bedroom. Started budgeting a little better. Was gifted flowers multiple times and was so overwhelmed by them. Actually, I was overwhelmed by flowers all of spring. Attended a end-of-the-year Luau at Nick's school and dressed appropriately. Super fun.
  • Best of all: we were offered a wonderful housing opportunity at the tail end of spring without any warning whatsoever. Despite being 100% off our radar, we knew within about 20 minutes of discussion that we couldn't pass it up. I also knew almost immediately that this was one of those instances where God was preserving us from certain battles that we anticipated in the future and felt very secure in His care. He's got this.

Comments

  1. The way God is showing His Divine Providence through your life and this post is blasting me like a fire hose. So incredibly beautiful! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment