My Main 2021 Resolution

 

(Do these pictures give it away? Here's a hint...my resolution isn't to take more selfies looking up my nose...that's just a happy biproduct)

I live in Minnesota but I really struggle with the winter weather and usually stay inside to be comfortable. And when it's warm out, I also struggle being outside because I am so afraid of snakes. 

It wasn't until recently that I realized that these two struggles were keeping me inside for most of the year and I decided to do something about it. I don't want to look back on my late-twenties (???!??!!!!! LATE TWENTIES ??!?!?!?!?!?!!!)  and only recall being outside a handful of times and I eventually want to raise my children to be wildly outdoorsy and know that won't happen if their mother is a bum who stays inside all the time.

So I made it my #1 resolution for 2021 to drastically increase the amount of time I spend outside and to make what changes I could to accommodate my struggles. 

I'm inspired by challenges like 1000 Hours Outside  but am doubtful that I can get out that much, so I'm aiming for smaller, monthly goals based off the weather and keeping track of my time outside each day on my phone. For January & February, I am aiming for just 2 hours a week or 8 hours a month. Later in the year, I intend to increase that amount by...a lot. Maybe 100 hours a month? We'll see when we get there! My only rule at the moment are that the time spent walking to and from my car doesn't count towards my goal unless I deliberately take a longer route to where I need to be. 

As far as making accommodations for my struggles, I'm starting with purchasing appropriate gear for the winter. I was inspired by the mindset that there is no such thing as bad weather...only bad clothing as highlighted in the book No Such Thing as Bad Weather  (which, admittedly, is much more of a parenting book than I realized or needed) and am making an effort to get what I need to stay warm. I laugh now looking back at my time in college when I would wear all kinds of inappropriate footwear during the winter months and realize my attitude was exactly the opposite of now...and I firmly believed there was no such thing as bad clothing...only bad weather. Lol. Anyway, here are some winter favorites: 

Obermeyer Jinks ITB Softshell Pants I'm still waiting for these to arrive but after a quick trial with the wrong size, I'm very confident that these will be the best for winter hikes and activities!

Timberland Ellendale Boots Stylish, waterproof and exceptionally well-made. Warmer boots do exist but these do me well both in the office and on the road so they make for a good choice for my mid-day walks during the work week. 

Woolly Socks  I AM A BELIEVER IN WOOL SOCKS. Foot stink is a problem in my life...but only when I'm wearing cheapy socks from Target or wherever. Wool socks keep me warm, dry, and stink-free every time. There are plenty of good brands of wool socks, but Woolly's customer service is a 10/10 if you have some sort of problem. Also I got my socks for free so that's cool. 

Columbia Suttle Mountain Coat I purchased a similarly-built coat last year and while I don't think any coat will be warm enough for me, this one does a dang good job keeping warmth in and wind and moisture out so I'm content. 

Sunscreen every.single.day. Better products probably exist than this variety from Burt's Bees, but I needed to start with something. Like I mentioned earlier, I'm in my late twenties...and don't want to look old by the time I hit 30 so daily skin protectant is a necessity. For the record, I hate myself for being this responsible.

How will I make accommodations for a fear of snakes? I'm banking on a divine healing through the intercession of Saint Patrick. But if that doesn't work, I might opt for some hiking boots so if I should encounter a little buddy I at least don't have to worry about him touching my feet. I'd rather wear my Chacos though, so...Saint Patrick, ora pro me. 

----

So far, I've really enjoyed my time outside. It's been a relatively mild January and to be honest, I don't think I would have even noticed if I hadn't been making a conscious effort to get outside regularly. I've visited 5 different local parks in the last few weeks--most of which I'd never been to in the 3 years that I've lived in the area. I've gotten to feel the satisfaction of an increased heartrate for the first time in months, witnessed two deer just a few feet away from my path and even spotted a snowy owl. I've experienced "frosted tips" on a particularly cold morning and walked along a few frozen rivers for a whole new vantage point. It's been supremely lovely and I feel as alive as ever. I'm looking forward to the many more hours spent outdoors in the weeks and months ahead. 

Comments