finals week



Nothing puts me in a better mood for blogging than finals week. There's just something about having half a million pages of philosophy, Catholic studies, and literature papers due that makes writing a blog post sound so appealing. Other activities which sound like fun right now: letter writing, journaling, shopping lists, passive-aggressive sticky notes, especially long text messages and basically any sort of writing on which the height of my GPA is not contingent. Funny how that works.

It's been about a year and a half since I updated this space. When it dawns on me, I miss it. But, that being said, I seldom think of it. This just happens to be one of those strange times in which it comes to mind. So, for this brief moment that I'm here and you're here, hey there. I hope you're well.

Life has been quite good. I have seen a significant amount of change and growth in the past 18 months for which I'm immensely grateful. Having the right formation not only in the realm of academia, but also in the realms of spirituality and mental health can do wonders for a person. Additionally, I must say, having good, dedicated, and caring friends makes all the difference in the world. The folks placed within your life truly make an impact.

The semester itself has been far more difficult than any which have come before, which makes me ever so eager for a couple-weeks rest back home and then a fresh start which the spring semester will inevitably bring. But, until then, I'm reminded of words of St. Francis de Sales who calls us to stay dedicated to our work and to love where we are placed:

"God wants you to serve him as you are, and by the exercises and virtuous deeds that accord with your state in life. And in addition to persuading yourself of this truth, you must also make yourself love your state in life and its duties, and to love them tenderly for the sake of the One who has willed it thus" || St. Francis de Sales

So I'm doing what I can to stay faithful to my studies and to work towards loving my vocation as a student. This is tough at times. In fact, this has been tough a lot this semester. But its okay that there is an aspect of struggle--are these not the times in which we receive the greatest opportunities to grow? These are times that call for much gratitude because they are times rich with many gifts. We just have to cultivate the dispositions to recognize them.

Now, with all that said, I ought to be off typing away towards the completion of my metaphysics paper. Thankfully, its coming along nicely, and thankfully, this course is almost done (turns out, metaphysics isn't my favorite flavor of philosophy after all)  but there is still a little work to be done so I must be off.

Peace to you all. Happy Advent.

Mariah


Comments

  1. your readers miss you too! my blogging world has shifted considerably since college started for so many of my faves, which is absolutely understandable. I have yet to find other places with the depth of reflection and beauty and yearning for truth as your little corner of the internet here, and Peregrin, and Aspirer, and all the rest. it warmed my heart to see your post here. may peace fill your finals week! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to agree. No other form of social media can capture the same depth of heart that blogging does--I miss the wealth of posts we used to see. But I can recognize, like you, that this shift is understandable but also good too in its own way. Peace to you, D. ♥

      Delete

Post a Comment